“This is the year.”
That’s the declaration I made to my husband on New Year’s Day last year. I had spent some time in my home office making a list of things I hoped to see happen in the year 2015. They weren’t really resolutions. They were more like dreams. Big dreams. God sized dreams.
I’ve always believed that if you’re going to dream, you should dream big. Write them down. Speak them out loud. Be specific. Even if it sounds too big or a little crazy, dream it. And then see what God can do.
And that’s exactly what I did with my New Year’s Day list. I wrote down everything on my heart for my business, walked into our family room, and told my husband I believed 2015 would be the year we’d see it all start to come to fruition.
What was on that list?
- Find a strong name for our company and brand.
- Launch a website and online marketplace.
- Create an active blog for our company.
- Develop a furniture collection.
- Build an incredible team and staff for our company.
- Open a brick and mortar store on Canton Street in downtown Roswell.
See what I mean? Big. Crazy. Specific. Dreams. And I really believed 2015 would be the year that we’d see these things start to take shape. But I honestly thought it would take years to see them all fully realized. It was a huge list, and I didn’t have the resources or insight to tackle them all.
But that’s one of my favorite things about God. He takes our dreams and makes them bigger, better, and bolder than we ever expected they could be. By the end of 2015, I simply couldn’t believe all that had come out of that one list.
- We chose the name Linen & Flax and officially launched a successful design business under that name.
- I learned so much about the development and trade of custom furniture and worked with a company to create our own line for Linen & Flax.
- I met Mack and his wonderful team at Heystac who inspired us and created our website, online store, and blog.
- We found the most incredible people to join our staff and be a part of the Linen & Flax team.
- Our team put on our second successful open house and home goods sale.
- We opened our first storefront in a house on Canton Street—the exact place we had prayed to be in for months.
As 2016 is now in full swing, I can’t help but reflect on all the dreams that came true for my life, my family, and my business this last year. And I am already looking forward to all the new ones—maybe even some I don’t know about yet—that will come this year. I’m so excited for what’s ahead for Linen & Flax. As you start this New Year, I encourage you to pull out your pen and paper, sit down, and make of list of your dreams. Trust me: you’ll be glad you did!